Card Recipe #0005

This layout is becoming a favourite go-to design. A stamped image in the centre with some Designer Series Paper (DSP) strips at the top and bottom with onset strips of the card base colour between the stamped image and the DSP.

These are the pieces ready to be assembled. Since the base is 4-1/4×5-1/2, I wanted the rest of the pieces put together to be 4×5-1/4. The math is below. The stamped image piece is 2-1/4 high which subtracted from the 5-1/4 total I wanted left 3 inches for the DSP and spacers in total. The two 1/8 ‘spacer’ strips take a total of 1/4″ which left 2-3/4 for the total height of the 2 DSP pieces. I kept it simple and simply cut them in half to a height of 1-3/8″ each. But you can mix it up and have the top piece thinner or thicker than the bottom piece.

The best way to create the 1/8″ inset strips is to start with a wider piece of paper and just cut of the 1/8″ strips. Try to make sure to keep them to 1/8″ (or at least make sure that the 2 you use total to 1/4″ total so that you have the right spacing on your matting once assembled.

The easiest way I have found to stick down the inset pieces is the put down some tape runner onto the card base just under the top edge of the bottom piece and again just under the top edge of the stamped image piece.

I actually coloured the image piece before adhering the card together.

Then I stamped the image onto the back of the card, at the bottom of the the inside insert as well as on the envelope flap and top left corner.

Colouring them was the next step. Like on the main card image, I mostly used Stampin’ Blends markers. So far I only have two colours (Old Olive and plus an old Copic brown marker. So I used a Wink of Stella brush to pick up the Calypso Coral ink from a block for the flowers and the same process for the Crushed Curry for the beaks. That added bonus of that method is that it adds a bit of glimmer.

Now it’s your turn;

Create. Treat. Repeat

Card Recipe #0002b

This layout is almost exactly the same as #0002. The dimensions are slightly different. And there is the addition of a separate matted rectangle for the sentiment since I couldn’t seem to fit both the sentiment and the cut-out bird/flowers onto the label.

I didn’t have to fill the whole rectangle with stamping since it was going to be covered with the label.

Similarly, I didn’t have to fill the bottom rectangle with stamping since it was being covered with the smaller rectangle. To keep it simple, I used the leaf image for one layer and the flower image for the other layer.

The final stamping was on the front and back of the envelope as well as into the back of the card and the inner insert. Here are the ingredients and dimensions for this card.

Card Recipe #0004

Since I had out the Soft Suede and Pool Party card stock and still had some cutout bird and flower images from the Bird Ballad DSP, I made a few more cards. In order to have space for the sentiment I wanted to use on the label along with the cut out image, I had to orient the tags vertically. The patterned paper I made using several stamps from the Free as a Bird stamp set.

I thought that a few strips of card stock would help ‘ground’ the label. And, as usual, I finished the project by stamping the back of the card as well as the upper left corner and back flap of the envelope and the lower right corner of the card insert.

Below are the ingredients and dimensions for making this card.

Card Recipe #0003

Today’s card for mom is a similar design to #0002 but with fewer layers and a different colour scheme.

First I cut out some of the labels. I ended up using them for a few more card variations too.

Here is how I laid it out, but the Soft Suede was looking pretty boring so I decided that it needed some texture. Plan A to emboss wasn’t an option since I don’t have my Big Shot at the cottage.

So I went with Plan B which was to transform the Soft Suede into a monochromatic patterned paper using Crumb Cake ink because I didn’t want the images too dark and I don’t yet have a Versamark ink pad at the cottage (but I did put it on my list to bring up here).

Once the card was assembled, I stamped the upper left corner and back flap of the envelope as well as the lower right corner of the inside layer and the bottom back edge of the card.

Then I decided to add a few 1/2″ strips of paper I had on my table. I have not yet decided which variation I like better, but the strips are stuck on now so that is the card that mom will be getting!

Here is the card recipe summarizing the dimensions of the ingredients.