Chocolate chip cookies are always a fun treat. I am making 20 little treat packages for the children of the women at Ottawa’s Interval House women’s shelter.
I started with a 9-1/2″x6″ piece of paper. I was happy that I can make 2 packages for one piece of 12″x12″ paper. I applied 2-sided tape along the 6″ side and about 5″ tape along one end of one 9-1/2″ edge and about 5″ of tape in the middle of the other 9-1/2″ edge.
To make it easier to form a cylinder, I found a round bottle of the correct diameter. In this case, one of my water bottles was perfect. You could easily wrap newspaper around an empty paper towel or toilet paper roll if you can’t find something to wrap your paper around. I peeled off the paper and formed a cylinder. Don’t make it too snug or it will be hard to slide the paper off your bottle/jar.
Once the cylinder was formed, it’s time to lift off the paper from one strip of tape to press together one end of the cylinder.
Then you pop your treat into the pouch, adjust the treat and paper at the unsealed edge so that you can close it at a 90 degree angle to the bottom closed edge. Now you can strip off the paper from the tape at the other end and press together.
And you have a closed package, ready to put a label with sentiment on. Create your labels using whatever ore-cut tags or labels that you have on hand, or punch or die-cut some if you happen to have those tools on hand. Below is a photo of the tools and stamps I used.
Make just one, or make many. Adjust the width and height of the paper to fit whatever treat you would like to package.
This layout is becoming a favourite go-to design. A stamped image in the centre with some Designer Series Paper (DSP) strips at the top and bottom with onset strips of the card base colour between the stamped image and the DSP.
These are the pieces ready to be assembled. Since the base is 4-1/4×5-1/2, I wanted the rest of the pieces put together to be 4×5-1/4. The math is below. The stamped image piece is 2-1/4 high which subtracted from the 5-1/4 total I wanted left 3 inches for the DSP and spacers in total. The two 1/8 ‘spacer’ strips take a total of 1/4″ which left 2-3/4 for the total height of the 2 DSP pieces. I kept it simple and simply cut them in half to a height of 1-3/8″ each. But you can mix it up and have the top piece thinner or thicker than the bottom piece.
The best way to create the 1/8″ inset strips is to start with a wider piece of paper and just cut of the 1/8″ strips. Try to make sure to keep them to 1/8″ (or at least make sure that the 2 you use total to 1/4″ total so that you have the right spacing on your matting once assembled.
The easiest way I have found to stick down the inset pieces is the put down some tape runner onto the card base just under the top edge of the bottom piece and again just under the top edge of the stamped image piece.
I actually coloured the image piece before adhering the card together.
Then I stamped the image onto the back of the card, at the bottom of the the inside insert as well as on the envelope flap and top left corner.
Colouring them was the next step. Like on the main card image, I mostly used Stampin’ Blends markers. So far I only have two colours (Old Olive and plus an old Copic brown marker. So I used a Wink of Stella brush to pick up the Calypso Coral ink from a block for the flowers and the same process for the Crushed Curry for the beaks. That added bonus of that method is that it adds a bit of glimmer.
This layout is almost exactly the same as #0002. The dimensions are slightly different. And there is the addition of a separate matted rectangle for the sentiment since I couldn’t seem to fit both the sentiment and the cut-out bird/flowers onto the label.
I didn’t have to fill the whole rectangle with stamping since it was going to be covered with the label.
Similarly, I didn’t have to fill the bottom rectangle with stamping since it was being covered with the smaller rectangle. To keep it simple, I used the leaf image for one layer and the flower image for the other layer.
The final stamping was on the front and back of the envelope as well as into the back of the card and the inner insert. Here are the ingredients and dimensions for this card.
Since I had out the Soft Suede and Pool Party card stock and still had some cutout bird and flower images from the Bird Ballad DSP, I made a few more cards. In order to have space for the sentiment I wanted to use on the label along with the cut out image, I had to orient the tags vertically. The patterned paper I made using several stamps from the Free as a Bird stamp set.
I thought that a few strips of card stock would help ‘ground’ the label. And, as usual, I finished the project by stamping the back of the card as well as the upper left corner and back flap of the envelope and the lower right corner of the card insert.
Below are the ingredients and dimensions for making this card.